Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My First Ride Along

Hello again faithful followers, whoever you are.  On Saturday I had my first ride along for my EMT class.  It was a fun experience where I learned some things and got some good sleep.  And made a minimal affect on a few people. Here's a little outlook on my day.

7:15- wake up and get ready
8:15- arrive at AMR head quarters and check in
8:45- we finish getting the Ambulance ready and we roll out
9-10- we sit on some street in San Leandro waiting to be called or transferred.. I briefly fall asleep
10:05- we leave to be posted in Newark
10:30 to 11:35- We sit in front of a Starbucks and I fall asleep in the back of the ambulance.. great nap by the way
11:40- time for our first call, so we smash over to Newark Memorial High School, where we find a girl who ate a weed brownie and passed out. We get her in the ambulance and the paramedic in the back Angie says that if she doesn't start talking the people at the hospital will poke her with needles until she says whats wrong so then she shouts out moments after that her name is Paula, I thought that was funny so I turned my head and tried not to laugh. She went to the hospital and to the best of my knowledge was fine.  but as we came back later we saw her talking to her mom.. lord knows how that convo went
12:45- We post at a different Starbucks in what I think was union city, just as I am falling asleep a call comes in to go to a Elderly Living community, we arrive there and see fire is already assessing this older man, we find out shortly that he passed out and had 3 seizures. He was very combative, cursing constantly at us when we tried to help him onto the stretcher. Thank god one of the nurses talks him into going.  We take him to the hospital, we have him sign off that we transported him. He complains for 5 minutes about how were trying to pull a fast one on him.  Eventually he signs. Thank God.
1:45- We post at a Chipotle. I eat in the back of the ambulance. In retrospect. A terrible decision. I fall asleep again, get woken up by sirens as we go to a Home Depot. Where there is a 300 plus pound man laid out on the floor, and restrained by the police as he got caught shoplifting, so we put his heavy ass on the backboard, it took 4 ppl.  He is unresponsive, and on the way to the hospital he looks up at me.  I stare back and say, "hows it going"? he pauses, puts his hands up shrugging his shoulders and passes back out. I try and hold my laughter, but i couldn't so I do the old school cough laugh to try and hide it.
4:00- We post at an In-n-out. I didn't eat, still full from the Chipotle. So i play a little tetris on my phone.  Take a nap. And eat some gold-fish I found in my backpack.  Then we get what happens to be our last call of the day. We go to union city Bart where a lady drove her car across 3 lanes, hopped a curb and smashed into a parked car.  We find out shortly that her blood sugar was 40, super low for anyone. Especially a diabetic.  We transport her giving her a ridiculously large amount of sugar. By the time we get to the ER she wont shut up shes on such a sugar high. The paramedic and her are discussing there favorite bottles of wine. They ask me for my thoughts and I tell them I'm 20, what do I know about wine. The lady got a real kick out of it for some reason. But I've never been a guy who didn't mind a good audience. We take her in, she was very thankful. And high on sugar. Which helped I guess.

All in all a great experience, and some great on the job experience, the 12 hours flew by. The naps prolly helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment